General Discussion > Electronics

AD7705 16-Bit Analog to Digital (ADC) Converter Hanging After Seconds-To-Minutes

<< < (2/2)

Cube:
And the morning's results: Success!

The prototype is still pushing data in real time to the LCD and to the Serial Port. (I actually forgot to hit "Post" on this yesterday, but two days in and it is still cranking out values to the LCD and serial port. I'd say that was it, either the Data Ready pin or the spread out wires, or both.)

Cube:
I've been working on this project with renewed vigor of late, trying to get it to workable status in time for this year's outdoor watering season. I really want to monitor my water consumption patterns, particularly since we've also had a few leaky toilets that sometimes don't shut off the water inside the tank after a flush. Totally different problem, but one that can be easily resolved with some monitoring of the tank and/or the water consumption of the house.

Looking back over these posts dated quite a few months ago, I was shocked to realize how much I'd forgotten about the headaches I had with it since that time. Recently I've been experiencing much of the same problems, thinking they were new, and come to several pseudo-conclusions:

* I'm still using the same laptop, which could be faulty.
* Mark has pointed out that he's had similar "ghost-like" issues solved by re-flashing the bootloader.
* Not many people on the Internet report having similar problems to the ones I've been reporting.
* The environment and build of the prototype could be suspect.
The reason I suspect the laptop of ill is that often, even when just trying to flash the device, the process fails. This could be due to Virtualbox, since I am technically operating the serial port from inside a vbox virtual machine. On times where it failed to flash the first prototype, it only failed during the read (verification) stage - write always succeeded. However, I since tried using a different board and hot-wired the prototype over to it only to find that it would more readily fail on the write cycle, never even making it to the read stage. When it did succeed on a successive attempt, it worked flawlessly, making me think that much of the headaches and hassles I'd been experiencing were directly related to the physical layout and design of the first prototype. I've started working on a PCB design in KiCad, to produce a "proper" prototype of this product. In the mean time, I'm going to try connecting it to a standalone IP to Serial converter, physically separating it from the laptop, to see if that doesn't help as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version